All the world's a stage

So how did you spend your summer? Numerous students and faculty in the University of Iowa Division of Performing Arts dotted the globe with their summer activities. Students gained valuable experience performing and working in music, theatre, and dance, while faculty taught at workshops, performed at festivals, and conducted research.
Click the map markings for more details…
non-interactive graphical rendition of a map of the world detailed with bullets pinned to various locales

maurita murphy meadMaurita Murphy Mead

Professor, clarinet

In August I recorded my third CD of Brazilian choro music with Michele Ramo, jazz guitar and jazz violin professor at the University of Michigan. I also performed an all Brazilian recital this past spring at the University of Michigan.

list of cities

nathan platteNathan Platte

Assistant professor, musicology

With the support of an Old Gold Fellowship, I visited the David O. Selznick Collection at the Harry Ransom Center (UT at Austin) to conduct research for his forthcoming book on film music, Hearing Selznick.

list of cities

katie wolfeKatie Wolfe

Associate professor, violin

Austin, Texas

I performed and recorded in Austin with the amazing choir Conspirare on a recording for Harmonia Mundi label.

list of cities

volkan orhonVolkan Orhon

Associate professor, string bass

I taught and performed at the first ever Butler Bass Camp at Butler University with fellow Bad Boyz of Bass Paul Sharp, David Murray, and Anthony Stoops. The weeklong camp was open to bassists aged 12-21 and featured movement, technique, master classes, chamber music, and a final concert at the end of the week.

list of cities

andrew parkerAndrew Parker

Assistant professor, oboe

I traveled to Indianapolis to use the wonderful Ruth Lilly Recital Hall at the University of Indianapolis to record a solo album. The album is my first one of its kind and includes all German vocal literature. I collaborated with fellow faculty member Alan Huckleberry and had a terrific experience using UINDY’s facilities. The album will be ready to be released sometime in the upcoming academic year.

list of cities

Nicole Zozulia

Undergraduate, dance/health and human physiology

Following my stay in Buffalo, I went to Indiana University in Bloomington for one month for the Keigwin and Company intensive.

list of cities

Sarah Lucas

Doctoral candidate, musicology

I studied Hungarian at Indiana University’s SWSEEL Summer Language Workshop for Slavic, East European, Middle Eastern, and Central Asian Languages. My research focuses on the life and music of Béla Bartók.

list of cities

Nicole Zozulia

I spent about two weeks in Buffalo for the Lehrer Dance intensive.

list of cities

john manningJohn Manning

Associate professor, tuba/euphonium

I just spent two weeks teaching the Atlantic Brass Quintet Seminar at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It was our 21st annual seminar; it was bigger and better than ever. We had 11 brass quintets (55 students); faculty included the Atlantic Brass Quintet, the Triton Brass Quintet, and John Faieta, a former member of ABQ.

Our special guest artist was Mark Gould, former principal trumpet of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, who presented a two-hour masterclass. The seminar also included coachings, rehearsals performance classes by the students, and faculty recitals.

john manning students

list of cities

Jennifer Kayle

Associate professor, dance

In June I was invited to moderate a public discussion among headlining artists at the Chicago Dance Improvisation Festival. It was a rich conversation regarding improvisation and education, creativity, civil action, and evolution, discussed amongst improvisational artists Jennifer Monson, Peter Schmitz, Susan Sgorbati, and festival coordinator Lisa Gonzales.

list of cities

jonathan allenJonathan Allen

Lecturer, trombone

The Iowa Trombone Octet, lead by Jonathan Allen, performed two recitals at the International Trombone Festival in Columbus this past June. On the first of these concerts, Dr. Denson Paul Pollard, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra bass trombonist and University of Iowa alumnus, joined the octet on a world premiere of Nathan Pettorini’s (University of Iowa trombone student and member of the octet) arrangement of Lenski’s Aria from Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin.

iowa trombone octet

list of cities

marian wilson kimberMarian Wilson Kimber

Associate professor, musicology

Columbus, Ohio

Funded by an Arts and Humanities Initiative, I went to the Rare Books and Special Collections at Ohio State University to use the materials in the Jerry Tarver Elocution, Rhetoric, and Oratory Collection. This research supports my book in progress, Feminine Entertainments: Women, Music, and the Spoken Word, about the role of women as performers and composers of the combination of music and the spoken word, ca. 1880-1935. While I was in Columbus, I also examined some of the papers of the African-American poet Paul Laurence Dunbar at the Ohio Historical Society. Dunbar recited his poetry between and to musical numbers on concerts in the 1890s and early 1900s. Many women, both black and white, took up his poetry in performance and set it to music, so he’s also going to be in my book.

list of cities

Margaret "Peggy" Mead-Finizio

MFA ’14, lighting design

I spent the beginning of the summer working for Arkansas Shakespeare Theatre in Conway as an electrics intern. The season had King Lear, Much Ado About Nothing, a children’s version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and the musical Oliver.

theatre electronics work

list of cities

mary cohenMary Cohen

Assistant professor, music education

This summer I had the privilege of facilitating the 2013 Summer Songwriters’ Workshop at Oakdale Prison alongside four phenomenal instructors who are also music students at the University of Iowa: Abby Haywood, Jason Palamara, Kristen Conrad, and Joseph Kim. We met each Tuesday evening at Oakdale Prison. We have learned and developed the process of songwriting, side by side, with 18 men incarcerated at the Iowa Medical and Classification Center. During our sessions, we improvise with our voices and bodies, sight sing, discuss the intricacies of songwriting, and share original songs with one another.

Some of the titles of songs created this summer include “Rain,” “Food for My Mind,” “That Little Crinkle,” “Dust in My Saddle,” “Precious Time,” “Nothing But Time,” “Remember My Name,” “Castles in the Sand,” “More Than You See,” “I Trust You,” and “Love Lives On.”

Two lyric examples: “Never fear my dear, I’m still here, and I love that little crinkle.” “In a world gone wrong, we pray that you’ll stay strong. And when the hurt hits home, just know that ‘Love Lives On.’”

mary cohen with two women

list of cities

Leigh’Ann Andrews

MFA ’14, stage management

I stage managed three productions at Creede Repertory Theatre in Creede: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Around the World in 80 Days, and The Taming of the Shrew.

creede rep theatre

list of cities

Brooke Lunsford

Undergraduate, vocal performance

This summer I participated in the Bill Riley Talent Show at the Iowa State Fair, performing a vocal and alto sax solo to "Unchained Melody." I have been performing at the Iowa State Fair at this talent show every year since I was 13 (except for last year—I had to skip a year because I was in the finals the year prior). I have traveled to various shows around the state this summer and have won the senior division in Keota, Burlington, Lynnville, and Polk City. You have to win a local show to qualify to compete at the Iowa State Fair, and they encourage you to keep going to shows to keep improving for the State Fair performance.

I performed at the Iowa State Fair on Aug. 11 on the Bill Riley stage, and I was privileged to be accompanied on piano by University of Iowa School of Music alumnus Michael Jarvey.

brooke lunsford with bill riley

Brooke Lunsford with Bill Riley

list of cities

dan mooreDan Moore

Professor, percussion

I recently completed my 14th summer as a faculty member and performing artist at the Birch Creek Music Performance Center. I performed with the faculty ensemble and hosted a solo concert titled Percussive Post Cards: Dan Moore and Friends.

dan moore playing in quartet

list of cities

jeff agrellJeffrey Agrell

Associate professor, horn

I played a concert with the Dubuque Symphony Orchestra featuring wunderkind pianist Ethan Bortnick; the concert will be broadcast later this year on PBS and international affiliates and be sold on DVD.

list of cities

Jingqui Guan

MFA ’14, dance

For much of the summer, I was immersed in the world of dance at the American Dance Festival in Durham, N.C.—dancing all day and watching performances at night. I was able to take classes with great teachers such as Min Yang (previous Trisha Brown Dance Company member) and Rodger Belman, and work with a choreographer at the International Choreographers Residency Program. In addition, I was cast in Martha Graham’s piece Acts of Light and performed the lead role in the dance at the Durham Performing Arts Center.

jingqiu guan

list of cities

katie wolfeKatie Wolfe

Associate professor, violin

I spent a week teaching at Texas Christian University in the Texas Roundup chamber music festival, performed at the Victoria Bach Festival.

list of cities

amy schendelAmy Schendel

Assistant professor, trumpet

I traveled to the International Trumpet Guild Conference in June in Grand Rapids, Mich. My trio, the Contrapunctus Brass Trio, performed a premiere performance of Wayne Lu’s Partita for Brass Trio on the New Works Recital June 14. Lu is originally from Iowa City and is an active composer, teacher, horn player, and music publisher in Iowa.

list of cities

volkan orhonVolkan Orhon

Associate professor, string bass

I performed two chamber music concerts at the Sebago-Long Lake Music Festival.

list of cities

david gompperDavid Gompper

Professor, composition and music theory

This past June one of my compositions premiered at MusicIC: a 28’ work for soprano and string quartet (written in May), based on texts by Marvin Bell.

list of cities

Jeremy Blair

MFA ’14, choreography

I am working as a research assistant for Associate Professor Rebekah Kowal, reviewing information about Maria Tallchief in preparation for an article she is authoring for Dance Research Journal. The article seeks to compare photographic images of Tallchief, specifically of her legs and feet, to iconic pin-up girls from the post-war period.

list of cities

john murielloJohn Muriello

Professor, voice

I finished a run of the play Bad Seed with Iowa Summer Rep as Leroy and Mr. Daigle. I’ll later return to Iowa City to play the role of Moonface Martin in Anything Goes with Iowa City Community Theatre.

list of cities

Margaret Runaas

MFA, piano

I participated in a number of events across Iowa this June. The first week in June I attended the Iowa Music Teachers Association State Conference at the University of Iowa.

list of cities

nicole espositoNicole Esposito

Assistant professor, flute

I hosted the third annual Iowa Piccolo Intensive, an international workshop for flute and piccolo players. Guest artists included Walfrid Kujala, former Solo Piccolo, Chicago Symphony Orchestra; and Sarah Jackson, Solo Piccolo, Los Angeles Philharmonic. Student performers gathered on the University of Iowa campus for the event from all around the world.

list of cities

Jennifer Kayle

Associate professor, dance

I traveled Franklin & Marshall College in June to co-teach the professional summer intensive, MICI: Movement Intensive in Compositional Improvisation.

list of cities

Stephanie Patterson

Doctoral candidate, bassoon

I spent the summer traveling to teach and perform. In June I flew to New Music on the Point, a festival in Vermont, where I premiered several new pieces alongside members of the International Contemporary Ensemble.

list of cities

george de la penaGeorge de la Pena

Professor, dance

In August, I began working on a Henry Jaglom film called Ovation with UI alumnus Tanna Frederick. The story, penned by Ron Vignone and Jaglom, is set in the backstage world of theatre where the cast struggles to keep their play afloat while they search for a murder suspect amongst themselves.

list of cities

stephen swansonStephen Swanson

Professor, voice

I sang “Songs of Travel” by Ralph Vaughan Williams for the 16th annual Labyrinth of Jareth Masquerade Ball at the historic Park Plaza in Los Angeles on July 5 and 6. Based on the 1986 movie Labyrinth, the event is billed as the largest masquerade ball in North America. Costumed as goblins, faeries, elves, and Venetian lords and ladies, performers and attendees alike mingle for an evening of music and fantasy. I was accompanied by pianist David M. Rodgers.

list of cities

jeff agrellJeffrey Agrell

Associate professor, horn

I spent two weeks on the faculty of the prestigious Kendall Betts horn camp in New Hampshire. We had some 40 participants—passionate horn players of all ages and stages from all over the country, plus a couple of international participants. The faculty included university and conservatory horn professors, plus professional symphony hornists.

list of cities

jeff agrellJeffrey Agrell

Associate professor, horn

I performed my own composition and presented a lecture at the annual symposium of the International Horn Society in Memphis at the end of July and beginning of August.

list of cities

Sam Transleau

MFA ’15, scenic and lighting design

I was the scenic and lighting designer for the Alternative Theatre Festival at Florida International University in Miami.

list of cities

Associate professor, musicology

I traveled to Nashville to the Tennnessee State Library and archives to research singer and reciter Kitty Cheatham, an early performer on young people’s concerts of the NY Philharmonic and Philadelphia Orchestras who was also known for singing spirituals.

list of cities

Melissa Gilbert

MFA ’15, costume and scenic design

I worked at the New London Barn Playhouse as the costume shop manager for its seven-show season and designed the final show, Laughter on the 23rd Floor. Six of the seven shows are musicals; we had about two weeks to build them before they open (most with casts of 24+!).

Melissa Gilbert

list of cities

Emily Duncan

Undergraduate, flute performance and English

I was selected by international competitive audition as a winner of the National Flute Association Master Class Performers Competition. I was one of only six students selected as winners of this competition; as a result, I performed at the 2013 National Flute Association Convention in New Orleans.

list of cities

nicole espositoNicole Esposito

Assistant professor, flute

I was a featured performer and lecturer at the National Flute Association Convention in New Orleans.

list of cities

Jennifer Kayle

Associate professor, dance

list of cities

Sydnie Mosley

MFA ’13, dance

On July 17, I wrapped up the second successful year of Dance in the City, the summer dance intensive I designed for Barnard College’s Pre-College Programs. We had 17 students in our 10-day program from as close as Connecticut and as far as Brazil and Italy.

In addition to the intensive study of topics in dance scholarship, the students took technique classes, saw performances such as Pilobolus and Pippin on Broadway, and created and presented their own dances.

From July 21 to Aug. 2, I had the pleasure of teaching West African dance class for the Black Girls Rock! QUEENS Camp for Leadership and Excellence. Working with fantastic accompanist Bashir Shakur, I had so much fun sharing my knowledge of Ghanaian dance and music with these awesome young women.

I always said dancing would take me everywhere I wanted to go, and dancing took me on my first trip to the Hamptons this summer. On July 27, Brooklyn Ballet danced at the Southampton Center, leading short dance workshops in ballet, hip-hop, and West African for children and families, followed by a performance on their outdoor stage. I can’t begin to tell you how much fun we had on our field trip to the beach!

Sydnie Mosley

list of cities

Nicole Zozulia

My third summer stop was New York City for the Paul Taylor dance intensive, which lasted about a month.

woman sitting near water

list of cities

rachelle tsachorRachelle Tsachor

Adjunct associate professor, movement for performers

June 9-15, I worked in NYC as senior faculty at the Laban/Bartenieff Institute of Movement Studies, training professional artists, professors, and therapists to work with subtle details of movement to support their creative and research work.

list of cities

Hang Nguyen

Doctoral candidate, musicology

I presented a paper on Danny Elfman’s music for Spider-Man at the annual “Music and the Moving Image” conference at NYU.

list of cities

Amy Price

MFA ’16, scenic and light design

I worked as the costume designer for a new off-Broadway show, and working as a design assistant and styling assistant.

list of cities

marie brownMarie Brown

MFA ’14, dance performance

Newport, Pa.

I had an employment opportunity at a unique summer camp called Longacre Leadership. This camp is located on an organic farm and teaches children ages 13-18 the value of hard work, responsibility, and community.

I shared my knowledge of the arts, health, and general well-being through yoga practices and general movement explorations. It was a challenge for me to get a room full of teenagers to let go of the preconceived notion they had about movement; however, I was refreshed by the number of kids who enjoyed moving but simply did not know how to channel this expression.

list of cities

Lisa Neher

Doctoral candidate, voice

Normal, Ill.

I performed as Cherubino in Mozart’s Le nozze di Figaro at the Midwest Institute of Opera in Normal at the end of July.

list of cities

Jennifer Kayle

Associate professor, dance

In May, I enjoyed presenting a duet I staged on two Iowa MFA dance alums, Ellie Goudie-Averill and Edward Rice, at a curated show at the Performance Garage in Philadelphia called Zipline. I also invited an undergraduate alum, Jenny Gram, to perform a solo I made previously for her BFA culminating project. We performed alongside artists from Philly, as well as A.O. Rosner Company from New York.

dancers using chair on stage

list of cities

nathan platteNathan Platte

Assistant professor, musicology

With the support of an Old Gold Fellowship, I visited the Max Steiner Collection at Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah) to conduct research for his forthcoming book on film music, Hearing Selznick.

list of cities

volkan orhonVolkan Orhon

Associate professor, string bass

I performed at the International Society of Bassists convention at the Eastman School of Music in June. My solo recital highlighted works from my latest CD with Centaur Records, and I played another recital as a member of the Bad Boyz of Bass. I was also an adjudicator for the 2013 ISB Solo Competition.

volkan orhon on stage

list of cities

Sidney Prim

Doctoral candidate, musicology

I visited multiple archives in Salt Lake City, where I conducted initial research for my dissertation on Maurice Abravanel’s recordings of the Mahler symphonies with the Utah Symphony Orchestra.

list of cities

Kevin Loeffler

MFA ’13, scene design/scenic art

I worked as a scenic artist at the Santa Fe Opera House in Santa Fe.

list of cities

william larue jonesWilliam LaRue Jones

Professor and director, orchestral studies

susan sondrol jonesSusan Sondrol Jones

Lecturer, voice

In early August, we traveled to Seattle to enjoy the Seattle Opera’s quadrennial celebration of Richard Wagner’s four-opera music drama Der Ring des Nibelungen. The productions were beyond expectations in every way—musically, vocally, visually, dramatically—and the weather was perfect!

UI School of Music alumnus Dennis Petersen (BM 1976; MA 1979) sang the role of Mime in both the first opera, Das Rheingold, and the third opera, Siegfried, and we enjoyed a backstage reunion as well as a casual meal with Dennis during our time there. Plans have begun to percolate for Dennis’ return to Iowa City to spend time with our students and to present a recital in the near future.

list of cities

Margaret Runaas

MFA, piano

I participated in a number of events across Iowa this June. The second week in June I attended a workshop on music literacy at Morningside College in Sioux City called "Developing the Independent Musician."

list of cities

Marie Spaabaek Mortensen

MFA ’14, dance performance

This summer I became a certified yoga teacher at Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health in Stockbridge. This was made possible because I received the Summer Research Fellowship supported by the Graduate College. The program I attended was one month long, and included a full schedule of classes to learn about the physicality, philosophy, and pedagogy of yoga.

list of cities

Margaret "Peggy" Mead-Finizio

MFA ’14, lighting design

After Conway, I spent the summer in Port St. Lucie with my husband. While in Florida, I taught dance at two summer day camps for Florida Arts and Dance Company in Stuart.

list of cities

Margaret Runaas

MFA, piano

I participated in a number of events across Iowa this June.The third week in June I taught at Ted Reuter’s advanced piano camp at Wartburg College in Waverly. Finally, the last week in June I attended the North American Montessori Teachers’ Association pedagogy workshop, also at Wartburg College.

list of cities

Sam Transleau

MFA ’15, scenic and lighting design

I attended a three-week painting session at Cobalt Studios in White Lake.

list of cities

eric stoneEric Stone

Associate professor, theatre arts; head of design

I was the scenic designer at the Great River Shakespeare Festival, creating work for Twelfth Night and King Henry V.

king henry v scene

list of cities

Jennifer Kayle

Associate professor, dance

From July 4 to Aug. 20, I lived and worked in the Dominican Republic, creating new choreography for Madeleine Ledesma, the director of Avanti, a local dance studio/company. I also hosted a weeklong residency with alumna Anna Stark (’08), during which we will begin a new work and our first collaboration.

list of cities

nicole espositoNicole Esposito

Assistant professor, flute

I traveled to Argentina where I worked with students in private lessons and master classes.

list of cities

Stephanie Patterson

Doctoral candidate, bassoon

I joined the faculty at Juiz de Fora, Brazil, to teach at the 24th Annual International Festival of Baroque and Colonial Music.

list of cities

Patricia Silva

Doctoral candidate, double bass

I taught at the 24th Festival Colonial de Musica Brasileira e Antiga July 14-28. It is one of the most traditional music festivals in Brazil with approximately 700 students. The festival has many activities: master classes, lectures, instrument lessons, recitals, and concerts.

patricia silva

list of cities

volkan orhonVolkan Orhon

Associate professor, string bass

I was a featured artist at the 9th Semana da Musica de Ouro Branco, Brazil. Throughout the week I taught a studio of eight young double bassists, cultimating in a solo and chamber music recital. This was my second time at the festival.

volkan orhon with another bassist

list of cities

armando duarteArmando Duarte

Professor, dance

I am in Brazil conducting research on Samba by studying the culture and origins in various regions of the country. I have been in Salvador and Sao Paulo in addition to Rio de Janeiro.

armando duarte embracing another person

list of cities

rene lecuonaRéne Lecuona

Professor, piano

I performed Fauré’s Piano Quartet in C minor with Trio 826 at the Chateau du Tertre concert series.

list of cities

volkan orhonVolkan Orhon

Associate professor, string bass

I was a featured artist at the 2013 Barcelona Bass Metting in Barcelona. In addition to a solo recital, I performed in concert with former UI double bass Professor Diana Gannett. I also performed on the concert “Gary Karr and Friends,” featuring international bass soloist (and my former teacher) Gary Karr along with pianist Harmon Lewis and a number of Gary’s former bass students.

volkan orhon on stage

list of cities

Megan Starrett

Doctoral candidate, horn performance

I conducted preliminary research for my dissertation. I studied the works of Frigyes Hidas at the Budapest Music Center and the National Széchényi Library. I also attended the Liszt Academy International Brass Week in Balatonfüred, Hungary, where I studied horn with Professor Imre Magyari.

megan starrett

list of cities

Lisa Neher

Doctoral candidate, voice

I took part in the Cortona Sessions for New Music in June and July. The Cortona Sessions brings together emerging composers and performers for two weeks of collaborative workshops and performances. My performances included the premiere of two new works for singer and instrumentalists and the performance of my own song cycle, “Snapshots.”

lisa neher with group

list of cities

andrew parkerAndrew Parker

Assistant professor, oboe

This summer I had the good fortune to travel over to the British Isles on a 10-day tour with Chorale Midwest, a choral ensemble based in Cedar Rapids. I performed with them as an oboe soloist in addition to singing baritone in the ensemble. We had more than 10 concerts over the span of 10 days, all within different cathedrals and churches. The trip began in Dublin and included the cities of Ruthin, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Liverpool, York, and London.

list of cities

john murielloJohn Muriello
Professor, voice

chris rutledgeChristine Rutledge
Professor, viola

david gompperDavid Gompper
Professor, composition and music theory

Muriello performed a recital entitled "Beyond the Great American Songbook" with David Gompper at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August. Rutledge and Gompper presented the program "The Blissful Violist," which included works by Frank Bridge, York Bowen, Benjamin Britten, and the premiere of a new work for viola and piano by Gompper.

In all, Gompper performed six concerts at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival: two with Rutledge, two with Muriello, and two with violinist Wolfgang David.

list of cities

rachelle tsachorRachelle Tsachor

I flew to Edinburgh as guest faculty in Moving Forth’s certification program, training expressive arts therapists & artists from the U.K., Hong Kong, Poland, Croatia, and Romania.

list of cities

andrew parkerAndrew Parker

Assistant professor, oboe

list of cities

andrew parkerAndrew Parker

Assistant professor, oboe

list of cities

Ciara Thompson

Undergraduate, vocal performance

I studied abroad in Ireland for five weeks and took part in two separate programs through University of Limerick.

The first three-week program was through the International Summer School. Through that I took a class called "Irish Life and Literature," which was separated into three categories: history, literature of Ireland, and folklore.

The last two weeks of my studies were with the Blas: International Summer School of Irish Traditional Music, Song, and Dance. I could go on all day about Blas—it was amazing, my fellow students were nice, and the program brought in world renowned tutors. There were tutors available for fiddle, flute/whistle, guitar accompaniment, piano accompaniment, song, bodhran, and dance. I participated in the song lessons. There were sessions held every night in the campus pub that helped the students bond and share what they learned that day. I learned so much from both programs, I made a lot of new friends, and I brought home the best souvenir I can think of: more than 20 beautiful Irish songs that I can sing at the drop of a hat.

ciara thompson standing by tree

list of cities

andrew parkerAndrew Parker

Assistant professor, oboe

This summer I had the good fortune to travel over to the British Isles on a 10-day tour with Chorale Midwest, a choral ensemble based in Cedar Rapids. I performed with them as an oboe soloist in addition to singing baritone in the ensemble. We had more than 10 concerts over the span of 10 days, all within different cathedrals and churches.

One of our performances took place in the Liverpool Cathedral, the fifth-largest of its kind in the world. It was stunning to hear the tone of my oboe echoing in a gorgeous space of that size.

liverpool cathedral

Liverpool Cathedral. Photo from Wikimedia Commons.

list of cities

donna parsonsDonna Parsons

Lecturer, music and honors

I teach courses on popular music for the School of Music; the "World of the Beatles" class garners the most attention. I’m was in London for five and a half weeks doing research in the British Library and field research in Liverpool.

My summer work has involved several projects: presenting at a music conference in Cardiff, Wales, reading Michael Field’s diaries (they were Wagnerites), doing research for a Jane Austen essay, wandering around Leavesden Studio where they filmed the Harry Potter movies (related to my honors seminar on Harry Potter), and of course doing research on the Beatles for my class and book project. Two music exhibitions were quite inspiring: "Vermeer and Music" at the National Gallery in London and "Stradivarius" at the Ashmolean in Oxford. They had 21 of his instruments!

dovedale towers

Dovedale Towers, on the famous Penny Lane in Liverpool

list of cities

andrew parkerAndrew Parker

Assistant professor, oboe

list of cities

nicole espositoNicole Esposito

Assistant professor, flute

I traveled to Spain where I worked with students in private lessons and master classes.

list of cities

rene lecuonaRéne Lecuona

Professor, piano

list of cities

christine getzChristine Getz

Professor, musicology

I taught Music Appreciation for the Consortium Institute of Management and Business Administration program in Italy and presented a paper in Italian at a conference at the Santo in Padova.

list of cities

andrew parkerAndrew Parker

Assistant professor, oboe

list of cities

david gompperDavid Gompper

Professor, composition and music theory

I traveled to Vienna several times this summer, first to learn, with violinist Wolfgang David, a new program that we performed for a charity concert in London on July 7. Included was my violin solo work, Nuance. In mid-July I returned to Vienna to learn Dikhthas by I. Xenakis with Wolfgang.

list of cities

marie brownMarie Brown

MFA ’14, dance performance

I attended ImPulsTanz, the climactic ending to my summer. I left at the end of July and returned just before the fall semester began. I am thrilled that my memory will be fresh and I will be able to share the happenings of this widely recognized international dance festival with my colleagues and students.

list of cities

matthew arndtMatthew Arndt

Assistant professor, music theory

For a pair of book chapters dealing with Arnold Schoenberg’s Six Little Piano Pieces, op. 19, I studied the original manuscript of the work as well as several paintings, notebooks, and personal book copies at the Arnold Schönberg Center, and I visited his neighborhood at the time of its composition (1911).

matthew arndt in archives

list of cities

Lindsay Fisher

MFA ’14, choreography

I participated in the ImPulsTanz festival. ImPulsTanz is a European dance festival (much like the U.S. equivalent, the American Dance Festival) that showcases the largest amount of European and international dance artists. I was incredibly excited to take part in classes from dancers such as the world-famous choreographers Pina Bausch and Wim Vandekabus. I wanted to attend this festival for at least 15 years; through the generosity of the University of Iowa Strategic Initiative Fund Summer Fellowship, I was finally able to realize that dream.

list of cities

andrew parkerAndrew Parker

Assistant professor, oboe

list of cities

rachelle tsachorRachelle Tsachor

On June 27, I flew to Israel to teach an intensive course on the use of movement at the Israeli Integrative Center for Group Counseling, followed by two intensive courses for the University of Haifa’s continuing education program in developmental movement and movement analysis. I also went to Haifa, Israel, working as co-investigator on a research study into movement and emotions, preparing our data to submit for publication.

list of cities

anthony arnoneAnthony Arnone

Associate professor, cello

In June, I was lucky enough to conduct the Preucil School String Orchestra on a tour in China. Our highlights were getting to perform at the Central Conservatory in Beijing where the First Lady of China was there. I got to meet her and present her with my latest CD. We also got to play a short concert on the Great Wall. Such a great experience for the 35 students and 25 parents and chaperones to experience so many beautiful sights, smells, and sounds!

arnone at great wall'

william larue jonesWilliam LaRue Jones

From May 8 to 29, I was in China conducting orchestras and giving conducting master classes at the Central Conservatory of Music (Beijing), National Conservatory of Music (Beijing), Xi’an Conservatory of Music, and Wuhan Conservatory of Music. I also conducted the Jianxi (Nanchang) Province Symphony and the Nanchang Philharmonic Orchestra in concert. I have been invited for return engagements and anticipate returning in December.

william larue jones with students

list of cities

kenneth tseKenneth Tse

Professor, saxophone

I served as the artistic and executive director of the Hong Kong International Saxophone Symposium. The Hong Kong International Saxophone Symposium is a gathering of professionals, amateurs, students, and enthusiasts from Asia and abroad who would like to learn more about saxophone performance, pedagogy, and other aspects.

list of cities

Jeremy Blair

MFA ’14, choreography

Immediately after classes ended this spring, I traveled to India to study yoga in Rishikesh, the spiritual home of yoga. The six-week program allowed me to complete my 500-hour yoga teacher certification and was generously funded in part through the Strategic Initiative Fund Grant offered by the Graduate College at the University of Iowa. Upon returning to Iowa City, I have been able to implement what I learned by teaching regular classes at Hot House Yoga.

yoga routines

list of cities

kate gfellerKate Gfeller

Professor, music therapy

This June, I was invited to present lectures on music perception of cochlear implant recipients and music therapy rehabilitation practices as part of the 20th World Congress of the International Federation of Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Societies, being held in Seoul. In addition, I gave a guest lecture at the Department of Otolaryngology at Samsung Hospital. I also gave a guest lecture for the Music Therapy Program at Ewha University, which is the oldest women’s university in South Korea.

During my time in Seoul, I was also able to meet up with a number of Iowa music therapy and audiology alums who now live or were visiting families in South Korea.

three people sitting

list of cities

Sarah Johnson

MFA ’14, dramaturgy

I went to Japan this summer for a month on a Stanley Grant from the University of Iowa to do research for my thesis.

My thesis is on the influence of traditional Japanese performing arts on American playwriting. With the help of the Stanley Grant, I was able to live in an apartment in Tokyo from May through June, and attend multiple kabuki, noh, and bunraku performances.

sarah johnson in tokyo

list of cities